Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 9 & 10: Borough Market, Prime Meridian, Cantebury, Leeds and Dover

Sorry I have been a bit late with updating the blog, but here is an update of the past weekend. On Saturday Rachel Back and I went out to the Borough Market. This market is mainly a food market with everything from sweets to veggies and fruits, wild boar sausages, all sorts of cheeses, veggie burgers, sangria, smoothies and everything in between.
I got a delicious smoothie when I first got there as we were walking around praying the rain was not going to come. Then i finally found some honeycomb covered in chocolate. So good, I have been looking for some of this since I left Dublin!

Next, for my actual lunch I got a wild boar sausage sandwich. It was pretty good, although personally, I wished they would have used different bread. But it was really great. After that Rachel and I thought it would be a good idea to go to greenwich and check out the royal observatory there which is home to the prime meridian. This is where the time starts for anyone that cannot remember. So when I was standing here, I was standing in two time zones between the east and the west. It was pretty cool. Rachel and I also got to check out the only planetarium in London. There we got to watch a movie about the planets and stars in the sky that night. It cool, but made me a little bit sleepy in there :)
Sunday was our day trip to Leeds, Cantebury and Dover. We had a little bit of a misunderstanding with the tour company, but the day turned out alright. This was my swirling sausage lunch with mashed potatoes ( i know I know!) and the other stuff was my onion rings, but it was more like onions fried in batter, still good though. Before this in the morning we were at Leeds castle and it was a beautiful place and we got to try a bit of the kinds Mead. Mead is a wine that is made mostly out of honey, but honestly it felt a bit early to be trying this honey wine. Not too bad though. I did have bee's following me around all over the place and I am not joking, it was terrifying.
After lunch lead us into the Cantebury Church. This is where the day turned even more for the worse, our tour guide told us to meet her specifically at 1:30 and I am not a person that is late, yet when all of us girls got there they stupid tour guide a couple minutes ahead of time the tour guide had left without us, and lets hear it for the worst part, SHE HAD OUR TICKETS IN. SO we had to convince the people at the front gate to let us in and then to find our way around the place. But aside from that issue, it was gorgeous inside there and I enjoyed getting to see it.


Next we were off to the Cliffs of Dover, and FINALLY we got to see a beach. This one was of course ALL rocks, but hey it felt really good. We did not spend too much time here but it turned out to be a nice day and we got some cool pictures. But I am warning everyone that plans on going on guided tours in London, please please please read the fine print and look at reviews, because I would not give our tour company/ guide/ or anything a good review.

Love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment