Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 12: A new week of classes, Missing Dunkin Donuts and JR's, with a movie called His and Hers to top the night off

Hey everyone,
Phew, I am trying to catch up on my posts! It is hard work trying to keep you all informed of how everything is going so I hope you appreciate it ;) Just kidding I know you all do!

So Today we got to turn in our first paper: Irish History. Mine was about how "Celtic" Ireland is truly today. Pretty interesting, but needless to say I am glad I have one down and only 5 more to go! haha! Classes were very interesting today with Irish History and Politics. But I won't bore you with that. Instead I will tell you how I am missing my Dunkin Donuts and JR. Shack!

As some of you know (amy, mollee, oxana, mom, dad, donny and I am sure a lot more of you) I have grown to LOVE my coffee. And as Amy reminded me when I was telling her how much I missed Dunkin Donuts, "America Runs on Dunkin" and well I know that Samantha Runs on Dunkin!!! By the way, a funny little fact for you. Not only do they NOT have Dunkin Donuts here, but they dont have ANY ICED COFFEE. What is wrong with this world. And if you do want any you have to go to a Starbucks, and starbucks iced coffee can just not compare with DD's. We were trying to figure out why this is and we cam to the conclusion that Ice is a precious commodity over here. They don't put it in a lot of your drinks, at McDonalds (which when we got a little lost yesterday we stopped at, i know i know, terrible) they give you warm water and have to put ice in it. They dont have Ice water... (P.s. at mcdonalds here they also do not have SWEET TEA. I think the world is just against me).

But I will stop my rambling and being the "Ugly American" but hey, can you blame me, those are precious items!
On a different note, our Irish History professor today suggested that we go see this movie called "His and Hers" It was similar to a documentary created by people from the Irish Midlands with all women from the Irish Midlands. It took you through all ages and stages of life. And shows women's relationships with the men in her life, whether it be her boyfriend, father or son. It began with the quote “A man loves his girlfriend the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.” Old Irish Proverb. It was really very emotional and a moving love story. It started with young girls talking about their fathers and having to clean their rooms or do chores, going into boyfriends and marriages, then into older love, to widowing and cancer, and after being a widow for many years. It was hard to sit there without having a good laugh, some tears and feeling overall moved by the stories of these women that you feel you can relate with. I have to say that you all should see this, even males because my Irish professor was a male and he said it showed best the true Irish Midlands with honest accents and stories. I fell in love with it!

Well now that I just built that up some much, everything else that I have to say about my night of sitting in bed and writing this to you seems pointless. Love you and miss you all! Sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite! Nighty Night

No comments:

Post a Comment